2009年11月8日 星期日

Week six

In my opinion, I think a mistake is we do or say something wrong and will be scolded by others. And we may feel uncomfortable and frustrated when making a mistake. In short, I think a mistake is an obstacle to achieve our goals. I used to take mistakes as a symbol of humiliation. I was afraid of being blamed from others when I made a mistake which makes me embarrassed. As a result, I try my best to avoid making mistakes.
However, after listening to Prof. Pausch’s speech, my point of view had totally changed. It reminds me the sentence I wrote on comment on Task one:”…good judgment comes from experience. However, the experience often not so good.” Once I make a mistake, I will try to escape from it. But, when I slow down and think again, I realize that if I can learn from it, then I can avoid making the same mistake. So, why don’t we think like this way: Making a mistake can be a lecture for us. People make mistakes, but few of them know how to make good use of them. I think, mistakes can be a mirror which reflect the truly you. By looking into the mirror, I can see my shortcomings and try to fix it.

1 則留言:

  1. Like most people, when I make mistakes, I feel embarrassed and frustrated. However, as I am growing older and older, I have thought that mistakes are part of my life. We have been taught that we should not make mistakes. Especially when we are adults, we are even supposed not to make the same mistakes. Actually when I was a child, I thought making mistakes was blameful and shameful. However, after having taught for more than fifteen years, I have seen so many children making mistakes during their school times. Year after year, I have seen different students making the same mistakes. So I have realized that making mistakes is common and one should not be blamed for his/her mistakes but should be taught, reminded, advised, or suggested. So when I look back at myself, I take my mistakes as something that should be changed or improved but not as something unforgivable.

    Although I take mistakes in a more tolerant way as mentioned above, it doesn’t mean that mistakes should be ignored or not valued. If certain mistake affects something only related to our own business, we can remedy it in our pace; but if it becomes an obstacle to other’s work, we sometimes can not compensate for it. However, as long as people learn, pursuing the goal of their lives, or work hard for their dreams, they make mistakes. Then these mistakes become parts of their experience. As in Prof. Pausch’s lecture, “Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.” Before our dreams come true, we must try hard time after time. During the process of realizing our dreams, we have mistakes or even failure. All these become our experience. They are like stepping-stones that help us go higher and higher, and then reach our goal. After all, we should look forward to the future. If we are afraid of making mistakes and do nothing, our dreams will never come true.

    回覆刪除